Saturday, August 10, 2019

Lemongrass. Useful and easy plant to grow.

This is my lemongrass plant.
I grew it from seed. And get this. The seeds were at least six years old. I have a lot of old seeds that I got six to ten years ago. So I thought I might as well try and see if they will grow. This place says you propagate lemongrass by division. There are different kinds of lemongrass, so that might be a factor. I plan to divide this so I have more plants.

You can also root lemongrass from lemongrass stems you get at the grocery store. I had a lemongrass growing last year, but it died. Maybe it didn’t die. Maybe it just was dormant, and I didn’t give it time to come back after the winter.

Unlike citrus plants like lemon and lime, lemongrass is quite easy to grow. As I noted in my last post citrus plants are not that easy to grow if you are a casual gardener. This Australian gardener shows you how to grow lots of it outside if you live in Zone 11 or above.

One good thing about lemongrass, it’s easy to identify. It tastes like lemon, duh. I have been clipping several inches off the ends every few days. Some say to use the bottom of the stems for cooking, but the whole thing tastes like lemon, so I don't see why not use the top part too. I like to add it to anything I cook—soups, stews, casseroles. Especially since I learned about how healthy it is for you as they tell you here, 

You can buy plants or seeds at Richters. And seeds on eBay. It certainly is an easy, visually interesting and useful plant to grow outside or inside your home.

No comments: