Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Aloe vera --not just for burns


I've always had an aloe vera plant that I've used for burns. Takes the pain away immediately. It's also antiseptic and helps scrapes and wounds heal, but I read somewhere a long time ago that it wasn't good to ingest aloe.

But now I'm finding that it is very good for you to eat or drink it. It is good for your digestive tract and also helps your blood move through your arteries and carry more oxygen to all the cells of your body as described in this article from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Here's an article at Newstarget that talks about how good it is for your cardiovascular system. I just wish it tasted better; you have to add it to something else, and my daughter refused to use it on her sunburns when she was young, because she said it smelled like sweat.

Aloe is pretty easy to grow. For me the biggest danger is over watering it. Since my last move I hadn't had any aloe, so I bought a little container at Walmart for about $5 that had 4 little plants in it. Two plants I left out in the hot windy deck last summer, and they didn't do so well. One actually sent up a little flower (the one in the picture). I guess it thought it was going to die, and it had to procreate before passing on. They say it is better for your system if it is a bigger plant, so it will take a year or two to get mine big enough.

You can get a free aloe ($3 for shipping and handling) and lots of info from Aloe Vera Plant Products. Also Neem Tree Farms (I want to get one of those neem trees one of these days.) has Aloe Barbadensis, which they claim is most often used in herbal remedies. I don't know about that but it's only $7. The aloe in the Pitt lab photo looks to me like an ordinary aloe .

5 comments:

Jackie said...

Can't live without mine. I am amazed after only a year it has had at least 20 offshoots which I have potted and now give as gifts.

Mine is also only in an ordinary clay pot and probably over watered as I water all the pots on my windowsill daily.

I use it on any skin problem and add the gel to a glass of water and drink it when I have any digestive problems as I never take pharmaceuticals and rely on my potted aloe plants and herbs to treat most things.

Anonymous said...

Good information here. I have used my aloe vera plant leaves for burns, but I did not know about all these other details. Nice blog.


Linda
http://r.yuwie.com/nickersandink

Sergio Cadona said...

very informative article...Aloe Verahas more medical usage than just skin-related i.e. scar and acne.

Maya said...

My neighbor who is 86 swears by it to reduce liver spots on her hands! I personally use it on my skin and internally as a juice.

Cindrella said...

very nice informative post..